A witness statement must comply with strict guidelines as set out in Practice Direction 32. The following non-exhaustive list sets out the format of a witness statement and the information that should be included.
- A witness statement should:
- be produced on durable quality A4 paper with a 3.5cm margin;
- be fully legible and typed on one side of the paper only;
- bound securely and not hamper filing or each page is endorsed with the case number and should bear the initials of the witness;
- have pages numbered consecutively;
- be divided into numbered paragraphs;
- have all numbers, including dates, expressed in figures; and
- give reference to any document or documents mentioned either in the margin or in bold text in the body of the statement.
- the party on whose behalf it is made;
- the initials and surname of the witness;
- the number of the statement in relation to that witness;
- the identifying initials and number of each exhibit referred to; and
- the date the statement was made.
- the address he works at;
- the position he holds; and
- the name of his firm or employer.
For a full reference of what is required in a witness statement please refer to the Civil Procedure Rules.
If you would like any further information on any commercial litigation matter please feel free to contact Michael Coyle on email@example.com.