The benefits of registered design protection should not be overlooked. Consider the following advantages:
1. Owners are granted the exclusive right to manufacture, import/export, use and/or stock those products to which the design is affixed/the product design.
2. Owners are entitled to licence others to use the design. Â
3. Owners have the right to enforce their rights before the courts against infringers andÂ claim damages against them (provided the registration number is displayed on the product). Â
4. Registered designs are recognised appreciating financial assets. Â
5. Registered designs provides for enhanced trade mark protection not restricted byÂ class/market sector. This in turn assists with the enhancement of trade mark portfolio management.
6. Cost effective registration for up to a 25 year monopoly right.