Designs Abroad

Registering your design in the United Kingdom (UK) does not protect it abroad. If you want to protect your design in countries other than the UK, you can do this in two ways. You can apply for a Registered Community Design with the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) which is based in Alicante, Spain.A Registered Community Design gives protection in all countries of the European Union (EU). If you want to protect your design in individual counties you generally have to make a separate application to each country in which you want protection.If you apply to register your design in a country like the UK that has signed the ‘International Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property’, you can claim ‘priority’ from your earliest application for the same design in another Convention country, as long as you apply within six months of the earliest filing date in that Convention country.

share this Article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Recent Articles

Overview of IP rights

The pandemic has caused many businesses to invest in selling their goods or services online. This has meant that many businesses have had to invest

Burberry granted injunction against Baneberry

Multi billion-dollar luxury fashion brand Burberry has been granted a preliminary injunction against Chinese copycat brand Baneberry/ The alleged infringers were discovered when Xinboli Trading