Changing a Company Name

When you have chosen a new name for your company there are a number of steps that need to be taken.

Firstly a special resolution must be passed authorising the change. This will be in a general meeting. Another option is to use the written resolution procedure under section 288 of the Companies Act 2006.

The company’s memorandum of association will also have to be amended to change the name clause.

Within 15 days of the special resolution being passed the company must file a copy of the special resolution, the amended memorandum of association and the appropriate fee.

Following receipt of the above the Registrar of Companies will process the change of name and issue a Certificate of Incorporation on Change of Name. The change of name takes effect on the date of issue of the Certificate of Incorporation on Change of Name.

Where the company involved is UK listed there are additional requirements: notify a Regulatory Information Service of the change, inform the FSA in writing and send the FSA a copy of the revised Certificate of Incorporation issued by the Registrar of Companies.

share this Article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Recent Articles